Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Family Support Centre

Leave of Absence and Part-Time Studies

Video: youtube - NlDq6s1rgUg


Leave of Absence

Students who wish to suspend their studies due to pregnancy, parental leave or caring for a close relative may apply in writing for a leave of absence via registration renewal within six weeks after the beginning of the semester. A leave of absence for appropriate reasons is generally granted for up to two semesters, but may be for the actual duration in the event of parental leave.

During the leave of absence, the right to attend teaching sessions is suspended with one exception: if there are grounds for a leave of absence in accordance with section 62 para. 2 no. 4 (the protected periods specified in sections 3 et seq. of the Maternity Protection Act and taking parental leave in accordance with the applicable legal or statutory stipulations), students may attend classes amounting to up to 6 hours per week. Students on a leave of absence are only entitled to register for and take examinations if the academic achievements were completed before their leave of absence began. Leave semesters are not counted as semester in the transcript of records.

You can submit the leave of absence form at the Student Service Centre (SSC).



Information about Leave of Absence by the Enrolment Office

Fächerübergreifenden Satzung zur Regelung von Zulassung, Studium und Prüfung der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (ZSP-HU) - § 62 Beurlaubung (PDF [German only])


Part-Time Studies

Study at Humboldt University is generally a full-time program of study. However, circumstances may arise that prevent you from completing the full program of study. In this case, you can choose part-time enrollment, i.e. attend fewer courses per semester and thus stretch out the full-time study program.

In principle, any degree program can be studied part-time at Humboldt-Universität. However, please note the following exceptions:

  • Study programs whose study regulations explicitly exclude part-time study. This applies to some master's degree programs. Part-time enrollment is possible at HU for all degree programs leading to a first degree (Bachelor, Diplom, Staatsexamen). The same applies to the master's degree in teaching (Master of Education), although the student advisors should be consulted beforehand.
  • Part-time studies are excluded for double degree and doctoral studies.

The application to study part-time is submitted to the Enrollment Office. On their website you will find all the information you need to apply, such as application form, deadlines, legal basis, semester ticket, etc.


You can submit the part-time studies form at the Entollment Office (Immatrikulationsbüro).

If you have any more general questions, contact the Counselling Service by the Student Service Centre.



Information about Part-Time Studies by the Counselling Service (German only)

Information about Part-Time Studies by the "Immatrikulationsbüro" (German only)